Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28, 2011--BF converted to 4x4 and 1st day travel. ome


This is a late addition to this blog detailing the upgrade of our Born Free (BF) to 4x4 and Al's trip home from Salt Lake City (SLC).  Start with this entry and continue to newer posts to follow my trip.


July 28, 2011, Thursday, Day 1
Pick up BF after 4x4 conversion.
I got up at 4am (3am SLC time) for a 6:30am flight.  Our son, Brett, picked me up at 4:45am and dropped me off at the airport.  Very nice of him to get up that early.   My flight & connecting flight in Denver were both on time and I arrived in SLC at 9:44, and got to Advanced 4x4 a little before 11am.  I spent an hour with Randy the owner, going over all the hardware they installed.  Randy & I slid under BF on creepers so he could show me all the parts & pieces.  I filled up BF with fresh water at their shop & took off.  First stop was gas at Sam’s Club & food at Walmart.  Then it was on to my first nights stop, about 80 miles from SLC.  I spent the night at Unicorn Ridge CG, 7 miles up Sheep’s Creek Rd, about 8 miles E of Thistle, UT on US6.  Elevation about 7600’.  Unicorn Ridge CG has 5 large, mostly level, well spaced apart with picnic table, grill & concrete fire pit. One concrete vault toilet.  A very nice free CG.  I am pretty sure this is a winter staging area for snowmobile riders. There was a map on the information post showing the groomed snowmobile roads.

Pictures of the new front axle:





Pictures of Unicorn Ridge CG


No comments: